04 April 2009

Score!


Next week sees the release of Score! 20 Years of Merge Records. Much of the music on this label compilation is written by bands of years past, covered by bands of years present. There's plenty to get your mouth watering, with covers by Bill Callahan, Ted Leo, Broken Social Scene, Death Cab, etc. Hot shit indie bands. Now for pre-teens and parents alike!

The song I want to post this evening is a Shins cover of a Tenement Halls song called "Plenty Is Never Enough." I had never heard this song or the Tenement Halls before this release, but if I may judge a song by its cover, then I think the original is worth checking out (and since I'm posting the original video below, you don't have to put in much effort to do so). This is the first Shins release since their last long-player (as far as I know), and it comes out like much of their poppier work (think "Phantom Limb" or their cover of "We Will Become Silhouettes"). It's like a stroll in the park, rolling pastures and ladies in sundresses.

The Shins - Plenty Is Never Enough

As for the original version, it's urgent without the angst. Right up my alley.

0 comments: